So this year will mark the history of the Symmetrix products, 20 years since its inception and the Symmetrix has come long ways. Initially released in 1990, today’s Symmetrix does not come any close to what the product was 20 years ago. The underlying code (Enginuity) is what drives and gives the Symmetrix its personality.
Symmetrix was a compute / storage beast 20 years ago and so it is today.
This post includes the video “Journey of the Symmetrix” (20 years in the making) created exclusively for this blog post.
To read more about the Symmetrix
Symmetrix product is considered a Flagship product and possibly has the largest share in the Enterprise Storage — Compute market today.
Here is a video I have put together showing my love for the Symmetrix Product. It starts with the Symm that was invented 20 years ago to this last generation Symmetrix V-Max.
Viewable in HD
Some other details on the Symmetrix include generation of the product, some facts, Enginuity code levels and model numbers.
The 8 Generations of Symmetrix
- First Generation: 1990
- Second Generation: 1992
- Symmetrix 3.0: 1994
- Symmetrix 4.0: 1996
- Symmetrix 4.8: 1998
- Symmetrix 5.0: 2000
- Symmetrix 5.5: 2001
- Symmetrix DMX (Generation 6.0): 2003
- Symmetrix DMX-2 (Generation 6.5): 2004
- Symmetrix DMX-3 (Generation 7.0): 2005
- Symmetrix DMX-4 (Generation 7.5): 2007
- Symmetrix V-Max (Generation 8.0): 2009
There are various models within each generation of the Symmetrix and these models have different characteristics. Follow the deepdive section to read more about it.
Some other facts of the Symmetrix include:
- Introduced in 1990
- 8th Generation Symmetrix available in the market today
- 450 Patents
- Introduction of the first every ICDA: Integrated Cache Disk array
- First system to support both Mainframe and Open systems environment
- SRDF Support introduced in 1994 (first in the market)
- RSF Supported introduced in 1992 (first in the market)
- BCV support introduced in 1997 (first in the market)
- In-the-Box Tiering only offered through Symmetrix (DMX-4 onwards), can support FLASH, Fibre and SATA drives
- Symmetrix (DMX-4) is worlds first PB enterprise system
- Symmetrix (V-Max) is worlds first multi PB enterprise system
- USD 3 Billion invested in Symmetrix Multi-vendor Interoperability Matrix support
- 800 Speed Gurus supporting the Symmetrix Performance and configurations for optimizing environments.
Enginuity Code Levels
- First Generation: Unknown
- Second Generation: Unknown
- Symmetrix 3.0: 50xx, 51xx
- Symmetrix 4.0: 5265, 5266
- Symmetrix 4.8: 5266, 5267
- Symmetrix 5.0: 5567, 5568
- Symmetrix 5.5: 5568
- Symmetrix DMX (Generation 6.0): 5669, 5670, 5671
- Symmetrix DMX-2 (Generation 6.5): 5670, 5671
- Symmetrix DMX-3 (Generation 7.0): 5771, 5772
- Symmetrix DMX-4 (Generation 7.5): 5772, 5773
- Symmetrix V-Max (Generation 8.0): 5874
- First Generation: 4200
- Second Generation: 4400, 4800
- Symmetrix 3.0: 3100/5100, 3200/5200, 3500/5500
- Symmetrix 4.0: 3330/5330, 3430/5430, 3700/5700
- Symmetrix 4.8: 3630/5630, 3830/5830, 3930/5930
- Symmetrix 5.0: 8130, 8430, 8730
- Symmetrix 5.5: 8230, 8530, 8830
- Symmetrix DMX (Generation 6.0): DMX800, DMX1000, DMX1000-P, DMX2000, DMX2000-P, DMX3000-3
- Symmetrix DMX-2 (Generation 6.5): DMX801, DMX1000-M2, DMX1000-P2, DMX2000-M2, DMX2000-P2, DMX2000-M2-3, DMX3000-M2-3
- Symmetrix DMX-3 (Generation 7.0): DMX3-950, DMX3
- Symmetrix DMX-4 (Generation 7.5): DMX4-950, DMX4
- Symmetrix V-Max (Generation 8.0): V-Max SE, V-Max
I have not been awarded a free V-Max or DMX-4 for my basement. I do not personally own a V-Max or a DMX-4.
As you can see, this post shows my love for the Symmetrix technology and sort of my tribute to the 20 years of Symmetrix technology advancement.
- EMC Symmetrix: VCMDB and ACLX - March 29, 2010
- EMC Symmetrix: Bin File - March 22, 2010
- Symmetrix File System (SFS) - March 10, 2010
- Symmetrix: The Journey of 20 Years - December 21, 2009
- FAST: Features, Drawbacks, Applications and some Questions - December 11, 2009
- After all, FAST makes a debut - December 10, 2009
- Drobo Performance Stats - December 2, 2009
- Policy! Policy!! Policy!!! - October 21, 2009
- Enhancements to EMC Symmetrix V-Max Systems coming!! - October 15, 2009
- SUN ORACLE Exadata Version 2: Showing the power of ORACLE SUN - September 16, 2009