Amazon announced they will be opening up a new AWS region in Stockholm, Sweden by 2018. This will be welcome news to the Scandinavian countries in Northern Europe. Amazon specifically cited Denmark, Finland, Iceland, and Norway as the primary beneficiaries.
With the new region should come much better latencies for public cloud users in the area. I’m not sure if this will be a make or break move that will push enterprises in the area to really adopt AWS, there’s already an existing region based out of Frankfurt, with another to be opened in France within the year.
The main benefit is obviously increased redundancy of operation, something evidently still in need given the high profile cloud outages already this year. It should also allow government and financial institutions in Sweden to start to consider utilizing AWS, since they’ll be able to maintain records within the county. I won’t pretend to be an expert in Swedish privacy law, so I don’t know if this will have any privacy benefits to companies outside of the country.
I have to also think that with regions based out of both Ireland and the UK, that the reality of Brexit might have pushed Amazon to open another EU-based region a little sooner than anticipated. Just a guess on my part.
Well based on their map, I’m thinking the continent without one might be a good place to start. I realize operating a major hyperscale data center out of Africa is not something you enter into on a whim, or just to fill out a map. But I don’t think one placed in burgeoning tech hubs like Kenya or South Africa is outside of the realm of possibility in the next few years.
- ioFABRIC Vicinity 3.0: Storage Myth Making - August 22, 2017
- Eclipse Logistics - August 21, 2017
- Asus B250 Mining Expert Motherboard with 19 PCI-E Slots - August 21, 2017
- Apple and the Oak Tree - August 21, 2017
- QLC NAND – how real is it and what can we expect from the technology? - August 18, 2017
- Episode 8 – Wireless Misconceptions - August 17, 2017
- Dueling AMD and Intel Server CPUs, HyperGrid Brings On-Demand to the Data Center, and Old World AI in Gestalt Server News 17.8 - August 16, 2017
- Sprucing up the lab with ioFABRIC & NVMe - August 16, 2017
- AMD Threadripper X399 Motherboards RANKED (by tackiness) - August 15, 2017
- Will Killing Net Neutrality End the Public Cloud? - August 15, 2017