The Tech Field Day staff have been working behind the scenes to improve the quality and timeliness of video output from our event. We are pleased to present the first result of this work, in the form of live streaming from Tech Field Day 4 in San Jose this week.
Tech Field Day in San Jose began at the NetApp briefing center. The session kicked off with an introduction by co-founder and engineer, Dave Hitz. Dave spent the rest of the session in the audience, contributing his knowledge to every session. Next up was Steve Daniel, who discussed benchmarks and performance. Steve also covered the role of NAS and SAN in today’s datacenter.
Joshua Konkle talked about cloud and object storage NetApp’s acquisition of Bycast. At our prodding, Konkle also talked a bit about pNFS and alternative object storage approaches.
After Konkle was Greg Kleiman who initiated a discussion of the role of tiering and caching in storage. (We will revisit this topic with Aprius this afternoon!)
Santosh Rao covered the development of NetApp’s storage operating system, ONTAP. After discussing the progress from 7.x to 8.x, Rao discussed the new features in 8.0.1, introduced just this week.
Our morning with NetApp concluded with a joint discussion about the new FlexPod offering, along with Cisco and VMware. NetApp was represented by “virtual storage guy”, Vaughn Stewart. Joining him was Ravi Neelakant of VMware and Thomas Scheibe of Cisco. The FlexPod discussion was a highlight for many Field Day delegates, who compared it to “the elephant in the room”, the VCE vBlock.
We finished up with our roundtable discussion focused on NetApp’s morning session. This discussion will be posted to our podcast feed, but here’s a sneak preview!
Our video crew also grabbed some interviews with the NetApp folks, presented at the top and below.
- HyTrust wings in to scoop up a fatally wounded Data Gravity - July 14, 2017
- Arcserve scoops up Zetta to deliver cloud DR - July 14, 2017
- WekaIO = Distributed Storage + Cloud - July 13, 2017
- Human Resources Is Not Your Friend - July 13, 2017
- Intel Goes Metal With Xeon Scalable Processor Launch - July 12, 2017
- ASUS Launches NBASE-T Adapter At Just $99 - July 3, 2017
- AMD Attempts Epyc Return to the Data Center - June 23, 2017
- The Year of Cloud Extension - June 21, 2017
- Tech Conferences in Las Vegas for Newbies - June 21, 2017
- Pure Accelerate 2017 Keynote Live Blog - June 13, 2017