Mark Prior wrote up a really interesting series of post about his professional development. He read the tea leaves and saw that he needed to get up to speed on network automation and expand his coding skills. It’s a remarkably candid and honest look at the process. In his first section, he’s teaching himself Arista’s Zero Touch Provisioning Server. The rest of the series will go up over the next week, with the process of working with Ansible and Python.
I particularly can’t wait for the entry on Python. It’s the one programming language I’ve really played around with. While my knowledge of it is rudimentary, one of the things that was amazing but also bewildering about it as a language was it’s textual simplicity. This seemed like a boon at first, in college I was put off of programming the first time I saw a friend writing in C++. But after working on some personal projects and looking at a decent amount of Python, the big problem I often had was echoed by Mark in this introduction. I’d often find a way to solve a given problem, I just had no idea why it worked. Mark promises to work through a lot of that, and I’m always game for reading about process.
Mark doesn’t spare himself his mistakes in this series. This makes it really satisfying to read through, and as someone unfamiliar with the process myself, it really helped me learn along with him.
Packet Pushers – Blog Feed comments:
I’ve been in networking for 25 years, but up until two years ago I’d had no cause to develop coding skills, nor even any Linux skills, beyond the most rudimentary. This always bothered me a bit, and was starting to bother me more and more. That’s because I realized a fundamental shift in how we were […]
The post There and Back Again – A Journey into Network Automation – Introduction appeared first on Packet Pushers.
- Weird Amazon: An Exegesis of Loneliness - April 27, 2017
- Who Moved My Control Plane - April 27, 2017
- The Future Of SDN Is Up In The Air - April 24, 2017
- TELoIP and the SD-WAN Cook-off - April 21, 2017
- The Future of On-Prem in a Cloud World - April 21, 2017
- Rook is the New Flocker? - April 21, 2017
- Virtualization and Containers: All of This Has Happened Before - April 11, 2017
- TCP Terminators: An Expert Analysis - April 11, 2017
- Qumulo Secures Round C Prime Funding – My Conversation with Bill Richter - April 11, 2017
- CapEx on Cloud up 22% in 2016 - April 10, 2017