Mark Prior wrote up a really interesting series of post about his professional development. He read the tea leaves and saw that he needed to get up to speed on network automation and expand his coding skills. It’s a remarkably candid and honest look at the process. In his first section, he’s teaching himself Arista’s Zero Touch Provisioning Server. The rest of the series will go up over the next week, with the process of working with Ansible and Python.
I particularly can’t wait for the entry on Python. It’s the one programming language I’ve really played around with. While my knowledge of it is rudimentary, one of the things that was amazing but also bewildering about it as a language was it’s textual simplicity. This seemed like a boon at first, in college I was put off of programming the first time I saw a friend writing in C++. But after working on some personal projects and looking at a decent amount of Python, the big problem I often had was echoed by Mark in this introduction. I’d often find a way to solve a given problem, I just had no idea why it worked. Mark promises to work through a lot of that, and I’m always game for reading about process.
Mark doesn’t spare himself his mistakes in this series. This makes it really satisfying to read through, and as someone unfamiliar with the process myself, it really helped me learn along with him.
Packet Pushers – Blog Feed comments:
I’ve been in networking for 25 years, but up until two years ago I’d had no cause to develop coding skills, nor even any Linux skills, beyond the most rudimentary. This always bothered me a bit, and was starting to bother me more and more. That’s because I realized a fundamental shift in how we were […]
The post There and Back Again – A Journey into Network Automation – Introduction appeared first on Packet Pushers.
- Revisited: Security is a Dumpster Fire – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - June 12, 2018
- Getting Out From Under the Policy Boulder with Juniper’s Contrail Policy Framework - June 12, 2018
- Cisco Live US 2018 Live Blog - June 11, 2018
- Theresa Miller – IT Origins - June 7, 2018
- The Ice Man Buyeth | Gestalt IT Rundown, June 6, 2018 - June 6, 2018
- Looking at the Internet with ThousandEyes - June 5, 2018
- The IT Takeaways from WWDC 2018 - June 5, 2018
- BONUS: Ted Dunning – IT Origins - June 5, 2018
- Tangled Up in Blue Notes - June 4, 2018
- Microsoft to Acquire GitHub - June 4, 2018