Matthew Leib starts a four part series, looking into what it means to be a SysAdmin in the cloud native world of DevOps. No longer can each individual component of data center infrastructure be siloed off to their own domains. To deliver the agility that containers and microservices allow, a SysAdmin’s role fundamentally changes.
Matt lays out the ground work here for the rest of the series. I’ll be looking forward to seeing how it develops going forward.
Virtuallytiedtomydesktop’s Blog comments:
Cloud Native versus Traditional – A framework
In traditional IT, the SysAdmin’s role has been established as supporting the infrastructure in its current dynamic. Being able to consistently stand up architecture in support of new and growing applications, build test/dev environments, and ensure that these are delivered quickly, consistently, and with a level of reliability such that these applications work as designed is our measure of success. Most SysAdmins with whom I’ve interacted have performed their tasks in silos. Network does their job, servers do theirs, and of course storage has their unique responsibility. In many cases, the silos worked at cross purposes, or at minimum, with differing agenda. The rhythms of each group caused for, in many cases, the inability to deliver the agility of infrastructure that the customer required. However, in many cases, our systems did work as we’d hoped, and all the gears meshed properly to ensure our organization’s goals were accomplished.
- Episode 8 – Wireless Misconceptions - August 17, 2017
- Dueling AMD and Intel Server CPUs, HyperGrid Brings On-Demand to the Data Center, and Old World AI in Gestalt Server News 17.8 - August 16, 2017
- Sprucing up the lab with ioFABRIC & NVMe - August 16, 2017
- AMD Threadripper X399 Motherboards RANKED (by tackiness) - August 15, 2017
- Will Killing Net Neutrality End the Public Cloud? - August 15, 2017
- Cloud is More Than a Data Center: The On-Premise IT Roundtable - August 15, 2017
- Red Hat Launches the PodCTL Podcast - August 14, 2017
- Intel’s new ‘Ruler’ SSD pushes for petabyte capacity - August 14, 2017
- Babies vs Wi-Fi - August 11, 2017
- End Users, Vendors, and Learning from Influencers - August 11, 2017