The good folks over at Network Collective have launched a new video series called the History of Networking. Their not-so-humble mission is to present conversations with people who helped invent the Internet and modern networking. Sounds like a lot of fun to me.
For their inaugural episode, the Network Collective crew talks to Fred Baker. He’s a former chair of the Internet Engineering task force and author of some of the foundation elements of Quality of Service on a network. It’s a really great conversation, definitely check it out and subscribe!
Eyvonne Sharp comments:
As technologists, we often view our systems within the context of today. We see current features, modern hardware platforms, and new technologies. We don’t view the tools and protocols we use every day through the lens of history.
However, this myopic view of technology stunts our understanding. Just as people, communities, and organizations have a history which shapes their present and future, so does technology. Knowing our history, and understanding the problems which led to present solutions, will make us better engineers.
With this in mind the Network Collective crew, along with Russ White and Donald Sharp, is launching a new podcast series called the History of Networking. In this series, we interview the individuals who built the foundation of modern day networks. We’ll hear about the technical, political, and organizational challenges they faced solving real-world problems in IP networks.
Read more at: Introducing The History of Networking
- In Defense of Facebook’s “Protect” - February 15, 2018
- Tom Lyon – IT Origins - February 15, 2018
- Do You Want to Build a Cloud? Gestalt IT Rundown: February 14, 2018 - February 14, 2018
- AI and Machines That Think They Can Think - February 14, 2018
- Docker for Home Automation - February 13, 2018
- The Cheapest PC Is Now More Expensive and Worse - February 13, 2018
- What’s Next for Infrastructure in a Post-Meltdown Reality? - February 13, 2018
- The IT Differentiation Dilemma – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - February 13, 2018
- Silent Keyboards, a Talk with Jack Daniel, and Cisco LIVES in Gestalt News 18.7 - February 12, 2018
- The Sound of Silence: MX Board Silent Review - February 12, 2018