The Wirecutter recently published a comprehensive guide on the best USB-C adapters and hubs. This guide looks at various use cases, from the best adapter for legacy USB-A devices to various display-out needs.
I have no doubt that the Wirecutter’s recommendations are up to their usual thorough excellence. But there was one curious omission I couldn’t help but notice. At the Gestalt IT offices, we universally use the OWC Thunderbolt 3 docks. Heck, we even made an unboxing video for one!
The OWC dock isn’t cheap and it isn’t portable. But if you want all the connectivity you’ll ever need at your desk via one USB-C port, it’s pretty much the only game in town. It provides 4x USB-A 3.0, SD card, Ethernet, HDMI out, headphone jack, and charges your laptop (wattage depends on the model). The dock really delivers on the promise of Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C.
I suppose the OWC dock isn’t technically a USB-C device, or at least it requires Thunderbolt over USB-C to take advantage of all the ports. But I thought it was at least worth a mention.
- Trends – IT Origins Survey - April 19, 2018
- Qualcomm’s Terrible No Good Very Bad Acquisition | Gestalt IT Rundown: April 18, 2018 - April 18, 2018
- Open Mesh Brings Major Disruption to SMB Space, Goes Full-Stack - April 17, 2018
- BONUS: Karen Lopez – IT Origins - April 17, 2018
- You Can’t Handle the SaaS in Gestalt News 18.14 - April 16, 2018
- Sonia Cuff – IT Origins - April 12, 2018
- Traditional is the New Legacy - April 11, 2018
- The Security Problem of Email Dots - April 10, 2018
- You Should Care Where SaaS Lives | On-Premise IT Roundtable - April 10, 2018
- VPNs Made Easy, Panera Data Breach, and InfiniSync in Gestalt News 18.13 - April 9, 2018