The Wirecutter recently published a comprehensive guide on the best USB-C adapters and hubs. This guide looks at various use cases, from the best adapter for legacy USB-A devices to various display-out needs.
I have no doubt that the Wirecutter’s recommendations are up to their usual thorough excellence. But there was one curious omission I couldn’t help but notice. At the Gestalt IT offices, we universally use the OWC Thunderbolt 3 docks. Heck, we even made an unboxing video for one!
The OWC dock isn’t cheap and it isn’t portable. But if you want all the connectivity you’ll ever need at your desk via one USB-C port, it’s pretty much the only game in town. It provides 4x USB-A 3.0, SD card, Ethernet, HDMI out, headphone jack, and charges your laptop (wattage depends on the model). The dock really delivers on the promise of Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C.
I suppose the OWC dock isn’t technically a USB-C device, or at least it requires Thunderbolt over USB-C to take advantage of all the ports. But I thought it was at least worth a mention.
- AMD Plays the Long Hygon | Gestalt IT Rundown: July 11, 2018 - July 12, 2018
- AIRI: Converging FlashBlade into an AI Reference Architecture - July 12, 2018
- 2018 MacBook Pros Comes Closer to Earning Their Name - July 12, 2018
- The Path of an IT Influencer Starts with a Single Post - July 12, 2018
- Leon Adato – IT Origins - July 10, 2018
- John Welsh – IT Origins - July 5, 2018
- Covering All Your Storage Bases - June 28, 2018
- WPA3 Is Certifiable | Gestalt IT Rundown: June 27, 2018 - June 27, 2018
- IT Burnout is Inevitable – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - June 26, 2018
- Oksana Sokolovsky – IT Origins - June 21, 2018