I’ll be honest that I’ve been kind of asleep on the significance of RDMA for a while. That changed when I saw the speeds Excelero was able to achieve with extremely low latencies and no target CPU load. It really opened my eyes and got me a lot more interested in RDMA as a whole. I’ve had a very high level understanding of it (bordering on superficial) for a while, but didn’t have much of a technical background.
Chin-Fah Heoh’s post on RDMA changed that. While not a technical deep dive, it’s a great resource to get on your feet with understanding RDMA. I’ll definitely be keeping it in my bookmarks for future reference.
Also for reference, the first Google result for RDMA is the “Radio Disney Music Awards“. I believe Chin-Fah is referring to Remote Direct Memory Access. Otherwise his post is very confusing.
Chin-Fah Heoh comments:
I have known of RDMA for quiet some time, but never in depth. But since my contract work ended last week, and I have some time off to do some personal development, I decided to look deeper into RDMA. Why RDMA?
In the past 1 year or so, RDMA has been appearing in my radar very frequently, and rightly so. The speedy development and adoption of NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) have pushed All Flash Arrays into the next level. This pushes the I/O and the throughput performance bottlenecks away from the NVMe storage medium into the legacy world of SCSI.
Read more at: The rise of RDMA
- Nick Bowie – IT Origins - February 22, 2018
- Qualcomm’s Pyrrhic Acquisition | Gestalt IT Rundown: February 21, 2018 - February 21, 2018
- White Boxes and Cultural Lock-in - February 20, 2018
- Salon Tries Crypto Mining Monetization - February 20, 2018
- Where AR We? - February 19, 2018
- Flexible Scaleout, Tom Lyon, and Reveal(x) in Gestalt News 18.8 - February 19, 2018
- In Defense of Facebook’s “Protect” - February 15, 2018
- Tom Lyon – IT Origins - February 15, 2018
- Do You Want to Build a Cloud? Gestalt IT Rundown: February 14, 2018 - February 14, 2018
- AI and Machines That Think They Can Think - February 14, 2018