Scott Lowe comments on his blog:
This is a live blog of session DATS004, titled “Bare-Metal, Docker Containers, and Virtualization: The Growing Choices for Cloud Applications.” The speaker is Nicholas Weaver (yes, that Nick Weaver, who now works at Intel).
Weaver starts his presentation by talking about “how we got here”, discussing the various technological shifts that have affected the computing landscape over the years. Weaver includes a discussion of the drivers behind virtualization as well as the pros and cons of virtualization.
That, naturally, leads to a discussion of containers. Containers are not all that new–Solaris Zones is a form of containers that existed back in 2004. Naturally, the recent hype associated with Docker has, according to Weaver, rejuvenated interest in the concept of containers.
You can’t throw a rock today without hitting someone talking about containers. The shift it represents in the applications virtualization status quo is interesting. Read on for Scott’s live blog of a container session at Intel Developer Forum 2014.
Read more at: Bare Metal, Docker Containers, and Virtualization
- Linksys and the Resurgence of the SMB - May 8, 2017
- Review – Docker Networking Cookbook - February 13, 2017
- The Future of SD-WAN Is Now! - January 10, 2017
- How Kindred Healthcare Uses SD-WAN to Secure Patient Data - December 2, 2016
- The Power of ONUG And What It Means To You - November 30, 2016
- Enabling The Most Remote Offices With Viptela - November 4, 2016
- ONUG Day 2 Wrap Up – Thoughts on Monitoring 2.0 - October 26, 2016
- ONUG Day 1 Wrap Up: SD-WAN In The Spotlight - October 25, 2016
- ONUG Live Blog – Day 1 - October 24, 2016
- Demystifying Docker overlay networking - October 21, 2016