Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in servers.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
HCI is just about virtualization. Scale Computing works within the HCI space, but instead of just refining how converged their solution is, they’re also rethinking the infrastructure as a whole. They designed their solution from the ground up to be an implementation of virtualization how you would want it to be, not just an extension of the current status quo.
Nvidia’s data center division made $296 million in revenue for the quarter. In the exorbitant world of technology, this might not seem all that notable as a raw figure. But compared to Q4 2015, its a 205% increase. This isn’t just a one-time blip either, in Q3 they saw year-on-year growth of 193%. If anything this is accelerating.
Articles that made us think this week…
Diablo Technologies doesn’t think RAM is bad. Quite the opposite, they think we don’t have access to enough of it. As everyone from the Fortune 500 enterprise to Hyperscale corporations turn increasingly to Big Data, RAM is at a premium. Diablo’s solution to this is called Memory1. This takes abundant flash storage and make it byte addressable. With this, they are able to provide 128GB DDR4 flash memory DIMMs, with the implication being that a standard dual-socket x86 server now has system memory in the terabyte range.
Alastair Cooke looks at fitting his application into a Docker container: I’m going to cover a bit more of the how. I originally wrote the application fast and dirty. It was my first serious use of Python and my first distributed system application. Like many coders, I used what I knew rather than losing time learning lots of new things at the same time.
We’ll be at OpenStack Summit, May 8-11, 2017. See you there!
Tech Field Day will be in Boston coming up in May! The invited delegates will be hearing about the latest in enterprise IT from a roster of exciting companies. We’ll be releasing the full schedule of companies, and which excellent delegates will be joining us soon! As always, these events are live streamed, with video available on YouTube and Vimeo after the event.
More interesting reads from the community
- The Hyperconverged Home Lab – byJoshua Stenhouse
- Five Bots that Let You Live in Slack – by Rich Stroffolino
- What is it like to be a SysAdmin in the new DevOps world? – by Matt Leib
This week’s server news brought to you by the team at
- Remembrances of Interfaces Past: Firewire - June 26, 2017
- Windows 10 S and Ransomware - June 23, 2017
- Cloud Extensions, DevOps Models, and Playing with GUIs on Docker with Gestalt Cloud News 17.6 - June 22, 2017
- AMD’s Future in Servers: New 7000-Series CPUs Launched and EPYC Analysis - June 22, 2017
- PCIe versus Ethernet in a Composable System - June 22, 2017
- Managing Your IT Career – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - June 20, 2017
- Wavebox: All Your Web Apps Are Belong To Us - June 16, 2017
- Excelero’s NVMesh Magic - June 14, 2017
- A Quick Look at LinuxKit Packaging System - June 14, 2017
- Advice to Vendors: Know Your Identity - June 9, 2017