Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in servers.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
HCI is just about virtualization. Scale Computing works within the HCI space, but instead of just refining how converged their solution is, they’re also rethinking the infrastructure as a whole. They designed their solution from the ground up to be an implementation of virtualization how you would want it to be, not just an extension of the current status quo.
Nvidia’s data center division made $296 million in revenue for the quarter. In the exorbitant world of technology, this might not seem all that notable as a raw figure. But compared to Q4 2015, its a 205% increase. This isn’t just a one-time blip either, in Q3 they saw year-on-year growth of 193%. If anything this is accelerating.
Articles that made us think this week…
Diablo Technologies doesn’t think RAM is bad. Quite the opposite, they think we don’t have access to enough of it. As everyone from the Fortune 500 enterprise to Hyperscale corporations turn increasingly to Big Data, RAM is at a premium. Diablo’s solution to this is called Memory1. This takes abundant flash storage and make it byte addressable. With this, they are able to provide 128GB DDR4 flash memory DIMMs, with the implication being that a standard dual-socket x86 server now has system memory in the terabyte range.
Alastair Cooke looks at fitting his application into a Docker container: I’m going to cover a bit more of the how. I originally wrote the application fast and dirty. It was my first serious use of Python and my first distributed system application. Like many coders, I used what I knew rather than losing time learning lots of new things at the same time.
We’ll be at OpenStack Summit, May 8-11, 2017. See you there!
Tech Field Day will be in Boston coming up in May! The invited delegates will be hearing about the latest in enterprise IT from a roster of exciting companies. We’ll be releasing the full schedule of companies, and which excellent delegates will be joining us soon! As always, these events are live streamed, with video available on YouTube and Vimeo after the event.
More interesting reads from the community
- The Hyperconverged Home Lab – byJoshua Stenhouse
- Five Bots that Let You Live in Slack – by Rich Stroffolino
- What is it like to be a SysAdmin in the new DevOps world? – by Matt Leib
This week’s server news brought to you by the team at
- Google Drops a SHA-1 Collision Course - February 23, 2017
- Arris Acquires Ruckus From Brocade Who’s Getting Acquired by Broadcom - February 22, 2017
- How Much Data is Used For Open Mesh Cloud Management? - February 21, 2017
- Azure Gets a Win with Flipkart, Platform9 Simplifies the Cloud, and IBM Brings the Brains in Gestalt Cloud News 17.3 - February 21, 2017
- Platform9 Simplifies Cloud Infrastructure - February 21, 2017
- Understanding CNI (Container Networking Interface) - February 20, 2017
- Flipkart Adopting Microsoft Azure - February 20, 2017
- Intel’s Altera Acquisition Bears Fruit: Cyclone 10 FPGAs - February 20, 2017
- Dell EMC: When Two Hearts Beat As One - February 17, 2017
- Alternatives to Intel’s New $8898 Top Dog Xeon - February 15, 2017