Storage rules everything around me. Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in storage.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
If file systems are cool, then distributed file systems are Miles Davis. They’re also incredibly hard. A lot of “distributed” file systems only fit the term in the broadest sense. Many rely on a centralized model, which can potentially be fine, but really limits how you can scale. Others offer true distribution but run into performance trouble. Elastifile’s solution is the Elastifile Cloud File System. This isn’t just simple distribution, they are offering a application-level distributed file system, with the goal of offering the flexibility of the public cloud, with all the enterprise data services expected in a hybrid cloud.
There’s been a lot of speculation about what 3D XPoint is going to mean for the enterprise storage market. We’re all about to find out, because Intel is now shipping the first commercial version, the Intel Optane P4800X. What it lacks in a catchy name, it makes up for in low latency. For a cool $1,520, you can get 375GB of 3D XPoint goodness.
More Intel Optane Hot Takes
Intel Optane Supports vSAN, First HCI Solution to Deliver It by Duncan Epping
Storage Spaces Direct with Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X by Claus Joergensen
Intel’s first 3D Xpoint SSD for regular PCs is a small but super-fast cache drive by Andrew Cunningham
Upcoming Events in Storage
Gestalt IT on Storage Field Day
From the Community
FreeNAS Corral Notes & First Impressions by Erik Ableson
Enterprise Tech Is Changing. People Aren’t by Ethan Banks
Five MacBook Pro Dongle That Make Me Sad by Rich Stroffolino
- VMware NSX: Going Big with Micro-Segmentation - May 23, 2017
- DNA Storage is Weird - May 23, 2017
- NetApp and Open Source - May 23, 2017
- What is Big Data? The On-Premise IT Roundtable - May 23, 2017
- NAS Effect: 10TB Western Digital Red Drives - May 22, 2017
- Intel NFV, an SD-WAN Cook-Off, and a Missing Control Plane in Gestalt Networking News 17.6 - May 22, 2017
- “Big Data” Isn’t a Thing - May 19, 2017
- Managed Storage with ClearSky Data - May 19, 2017
- Microsoft Opening Data Centers in Africa - May 18, 2017
- Datrium And Open Convergence - May 18, 2017