Storage rules everything around me. Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in storage.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
If file systems are cool, then distributed file systems are Miles Davis. They’re also incredibly hard. A lot of “distributed” file systems only fit the term in the broadest sense. Many rely on a centralized model, which can potentially be fine, but really limits how you can scale. Others offer true distribution but run into performance trouble. Elastifile’s solution is the Elastifile Cloud File System. This isn’t just simple distribution, they are offering a application-level distributed file system, with the goal of offering the flexibility of the public cloud, with all the enterprise data services expected in a hybrid cloud.
There’s been a lot of speculation about what 3D XPoint is going to mean for the enterprise storage market. We’re all about to find out, because Intel is now shipping the first commercial version, the Intel Optane P4800X. What it lacks in a catchy name, it makes up for in low latency. For a cool $1,520, you can get 375GB of 3D XPoint goodness.
More Intel Optane Hot Takes
Intel Optane Supports vSAN, First HCI Solution to Deliver It by Duncan Epping
Storage Spaces Direct with Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X by Claus Joergensen
Intel’s first 3D Xpoint SSD for regular PCs is a small but super-fast cache drive by Andrew Cunningham
Upcoming Events in Storage
Gestalt IT on Storage Field Day
From the Community
FreeNAS Corral Notes & First Impressions by Erik Ableson
Enterprise Tech Is Changing. People Aren’t by Ethan Banks
Five MacBook Pro Dongle That Make Me Sad by Rich Stroffolino
- The Brave New World of NVMe: The On-Premise IT Roundtable - July 18, 2017
- Cisco Announces “The Network. Intuitive.” - July 10, 2017
- This is Inbox Hell - July 10, 2017
- Broadcom Gets Regulatory Approval on Brocade Acquisition - July 5, 2017
- Cloud Extensions, NVMesh, and Backup Awareness in Gestalt Storage News 17.3 - July 5, 2017
- Not The Cisco of John Chambers Anymore - July 3, 2017
- Is Kubernetes a Flash in the Pan? The On-Premise IT Roundtable - July 3, 2017
- HyperThreading Bug in Intel Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs - June 30, 2017
- Trove puts the A.I. in Email - June 30, 2017
- VMware NSX, Figuring Out Intent-Based Networking, and Career Management in Gestalt Networking News 17.7 - June 27, 2017