Storage rules everything around me. Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in storage.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
If you’re not familiar with ioFABRIC, they make Vicinity, a data fabric solution that lets you get better utilization of all your storage. It does this by presenting applications with a virtual data plane that amalgamates all available storage. This is governed independently by their own control plane. Essentially, the virtual data plane presents to the application as whatever kind of storage it natively needs (block, file, SMB, etc.).
WekaIO Matrix is an impressive new entrant in the world of high-performance distributed storage, and the cloud connector is a nice complement. The company brings all the latest trends together (distributed storage, NVMe, flash, cloud) in a useful solution. And by targeting HPC, WekaIO has selected a ripe target.
The roundtable discusses how NVMe is impacting the storage industry. Is this just an iteration on what we’ve already seen with flash, or does it represent a sea change that will fundamentally change IT?
Articles That Made Us Think
In this piece, Gabriel Chapman makes an interesting case for the demise of the storage admin. He compares the state of storage to the smartphone pre-iPhone. The market is poised for someone make storage radically simpler, from providing a service that has to be laboriously constructed, to something that’s more of a platform to be built on with accessible APIs.
Upcoming Events in Storage
From the Community
What to Expect from QLC NAND by Chris Evans
Automation Empowered Backups with Rubrik by Eric Shanks
Red Hat Banishes Btrfs from RHEL by Simon Sharwood
- Russ White – IT Origins - November 16, 2017
- The Great Congruity360 Data Migration - November 15, 2017
- Gestalt IT Rundown – November 15, 2017 - November 15, 2017
- Gestalt Cloud News 17.8 - November 14, 2017
- A Conversation with Congruity360 COO Mark Shirman - November 9, 2017
- James Green – IT Origins - November 9, 2017
- Gestalt IT Rundown: November 8, 2017 - November 8, 2017
- Getting to Know Congruity360 - November 7, 2017
- The CLI is Dead – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - November 7, 2017
- Crowdsourcing the Enterprise, Network Automation, and Agility in Network Design in Gestalt Networking News 17.9 - November 6, 2017