In terms of repurposing old computer hardware, it would be hard to pick a project that would bring a bigger smile to my face than retrofitting an Intel Core2Duo-based Sun workstation to use modern AMD EPYC platform. It’s the best of both worlds, modern hardware in a chassis with perhaps the best logo in all of tech.
It’s kind of pointless, and clearly took a lot of work, but darn it if I don’t like it.
Patrick Kennedy comments:
Introducing the Ultra EPYC. We take a Sun Ultra 24 and retrofit the newest AMD EPYC Gigabyte Platform, NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti, EVGA PSU and Intel Optane storage.
Read more at: Serve The Home
- The Evolution of the Storage Pod - February 18, 2019
- Comparing File System Performance on Oracle - February 11, 2019
- An AMD EPYC-Powered Sun Ultra 24 Workstation - January 31, 2019
- HPE Storage Portfolio Cheat Sheet - January 25, 2019
- Backblaze Releases 2018 Hard Drive Stats - January 24, 2019
- Windows 10 Mobile Support Ends in December - January 22, 2019
- Inside-Out vs. Outside-In Hybrid Cloud - January 14, 2019
- Thin Provisioning: The Lies We Tell Our Systems - December 21, 2018
- Why Would Microsoft Buy Mellanox? - December 19, 2018
- Pure Storage Isn’t About All-Flash Anymore (and Never Really Was) - December 13, 2018