As cloud computing becomes more mainstream, investors will start looking to get in on the act. With that in mind, a friend and I began discussing which public companies were getting into the cloud computing market and to what extent. I have put together the following list, and encourage comments, suggestions, and contributions. Perhaps we can even create a cloud computing stock market index?
Since no company (except perhaps Salesforce.com) derives 100% of its revenues from cloud computing at this point, none can be called true cloud computing companies. But we can attempt to determine to what extent each has jumped into the market.
|AMZN||Amazon.com||EC2, SimpleDB, S3, CloudFront, SQS||Compute, storage, and database as a service|
|CRM||Salesforce.com||CRM solutions||Software-as-a-service pioneer|
|CTXS||Citrix||Xen, Cloud Center||Software for service providers|
|DLR||Digital Realty Trust||Data center development|
|EMC||EMC||Atmos, Atmos Online||Hardware for service providers|
|GOOG||Google App Engine, Google Apps||Platform as a service|
|IBM||IBM||Smart Business, Lotus Live!, CloudBurst||Software and hardware for service providers|
|MSFT||Microsoft||Azure||Platform as a service with compute, database, and storage|
|ORCL||Oracle||Sun xVM, Kenai/Speedway, MySQL||Software for service providers|
|RAX||Rackspace||Cloud Servers, Cloud Files, Cloud Sites||Compute and storage as a service|
|T||AT&T||Synaptic Hosting, Synaptic Storage||Infrastructure and storage as a service|
|TMRK||Terremark||Enterprise Cloud||Software for internal service providers|
|VMW||VMware||vCloud||Software for service providers|
|VZ||Verizon||Business CaaS||Infrastructure as a service|
|YHOO||Yahoo!||Hadoop||Software for service providers|
One might also include 3PAR, Compellent, NetApp, Cisco, HP, Dell, and other vendors of hardware used by cloud service providers. Others that might be included include Red Hat, Novell, Unisys, and Symantec.
Please leave a comment below if you have any suggestions. I envision this becoming a living list (perhaps a Wiki) in the future.
- The Cloud Extends Into the Datacenter: Druva at AWS re:Invent - December 13, 2019
- Docker Enterprise Sold to Mirantis, Docker Desktop, Hub Raise $35MM - November 19, 2019
- Juniper NXTWORK 2019 Keynote Live Blog - November 12, 2019
- Where Did Tech Field Day Come From? Tech Field Day at 10 - November 4, 2019
- Druva Protects Corporate Data Outside the Firewall - October 30, 2019
- It’s All About the Delegates: Tech Field Day at 10 - October 27, 2019
- Nth Generation Symposium Keynote Live Blog - October 24, 2019
- SolarWinds Aims to Connect the Data Dots - October 24, 2019
- Celebrating 10 Years of Pure Storage and Tech Field Day - October 23, 2019
- Meeting the Storage Performance Requirements of AI and ML Workloads with WekaIO - October 23, 2019