Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in servers.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
A New Year means it’s prediction time in the tech sphere. We here at Gestalt IT are no different, so we’ve put together what we think you’ll see in the tech for the coming solar rotation. We’ve included prediction for tech in general, enterprise IT, and talked with people in the industry for their thoughts. At the end of the year, we’ll check back in to see how we did!
What happens to the swaths of old enterprise equipment that become obsolete at government offices? They end up on government auction sites. Rich Stroffolino took a look at what was being offered on GovDeal, to see the failed IT dreams of admins past. He found an interesting assortment of tablets, rack servers, and even an ancient mac server for sale.
Articles that made us think this week…
What people are talking about this week in Server news: Bringing SQL Server to Linux and Docker Monetization.
Peter Bright writes: There was some nervousness and trepidation when the decision was first made to bring SQL Server to Linux—would it simply cut Windows revenue as companies switched to the cheaper server operating system?—but as the project progressed, the team grew more confident that it would open up SQL Server to a whole set of customers who previously couldn’t even contemplate it because of its OS dependency.
It’s a sign of Docker’s maturity in the market that people are now starting to seriously question their monetization strategy. Matt Asay breaks down why Red Hat is able to succeed at monetizing the very technology that Docker is pioneering.
More interesting reads from the community
- Docker? On Windows? Yep! – by Jon Hildebrand
- Can a $72 Computer Beat Amazon’s Cloud? – by Rich Stroffolino
- Rogue One and Data Management – by Lee Dallas
This week’s server news brought to you by the team at
- Veeam Acquired by Insight Partners | Gestalt IT Rundown: January 15, 2020 - January 15, 2020
- Wi-Fi Monetization is Bad – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - January 14, 2020
- AI Patent Trolls | Gestalt IT Rundown: January 8, 2019 - January 8, 2020
- IT Certifications Are More Valuable Than A College Degree – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - December 24, 2019
- Predictions for 2020 - December 19, 2019
- 2019 in Review | Gestalt IT Rundown: December 18, 2019 - December 18, 2019
- The Promise of the Cloud Cannot Be Achieved – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - December 17, 2019
- India’s New Data Regulation Bill | Gestalt IT Rundown: December 11, 2019 - December 11, 2019
- Gestalt News for the Week of December 9, 2019 - December 9, 2019
- Machine Learning Dominates at AWS re:Invent 2019 | Gestalt IT Rundown: December 4, 2019 - December 4, 2019