Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in servers.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
A New Year means it’s prediction time in the tech sphere. We here at Gestalt IT are no different, so we’ve put together what we think you’ll see in the tech for the coming solar rotation. We’ve included prediction for tech in general, enterprise IT, and talked with people in the industry for their thoughts. At the end of the year, we’ll check back in to see how we did!
What happens to the swaths of old enterprise equipment that become obsolete at government offices? They end up on government auction sites. Rich Stroffolino took a look at what was being offered on GovDeal, to see the failed IT dreams of admins past. He found an interesting assortment of tablets, rack servers, and even an ancient mac server for sale.
Articles that made us think this week…
What people are talking about this week in Server news: Bringing SQL Server to Linux and Docker Monetization.
Peter Bright writes: There was some nervousness and trepidation when the decision was first made to bring SQL Server to Linux—would it simply cut Windows revenue as companies switched to the cheaper server operating system?—but as the project progressed, the team grew more confident that it would open up SQL Server to a whole set of customers who previously couldn’t even contemplate it because of its OS dependency.
It’s a sign of Docker’s maturity in the market that people are now starting to seriously question their monetization strategy. Matt Asay breaks down why Red Hat is able to succeed at monetizing the very technology that Docker is pioneering.
More interesting reads from the community
- Docker? On Windows? Yep! – by Jon Hildebrand
- Can a $72 Computer Beat Amazon’s Cloud? – by Rich Stroffolino
- Rogue One and Data Management – by Lee Dallas
This week’s server news brought to you by the team at
- SaaS Backup Isn’t My Problem – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - August 13, 2019
- Jira and the Definition of All | Gestalt IT Rundown: August 7, 2019 - August 7, 2019
- What’s In Your Bucket | Gestalt IT Rundown: July 31, 2019 - July 31, 2019
- VPNemy at the Gates | Gestalt IT Rundown: July 24, 2019 - July 24, 2019
- Germany Drops the Hesse on Microsoft | Gestalt IT Rundown: July 17, 2019 - July 17, 2019
- FUD: Fear, UK, and DNS | Gestalt IT Rundown: July 10, 2019 - July 10, 2019
- The Traditional Office is Dying – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - July 9, 2019
- Cloudfail | Gestalt IT Rundown: July 3, 2019 - July 3, 2019
- HCI See What You Did There | Gestalt IT Rundown: June 26, 2019 - June 26, 2019
- VARs are Useless – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - June 25, 2019