Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in servers.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
A New Year means it’s prediction time in the tech sphere. We here at Gestalt IT are no different, so we’ve put together what we think you’ll see in the tech for the coming solar rotation. We’ve included prediction for tech in general, enterprise IT, and talked with people in the industry for their thoughts. At the end of the year, we’ll check back in to see how we did!
What happens to the swaths of old enterprise equipment that become obsolete at government offices? They end up on government auction sites. Rich Stroffolino took a look at what was being offered on GovDeal, to see the failed IT dreams of admins past. He found an interesting assortment of tablets, rack servers, and even an ancient mac server for sale.
Articles that made us think this week…
What people are talking about this week in Server news: Bringing SQL Server to Linux and Docker Monetization.
Peter Bright writes: There was some nervousness and trepidation when the decision was first made to bring SQL Server to Linux—would it simply cut Windows revenue as companies switched to the cheaper server operating system?—but as the project progressed, the team grew more confident that it would open up SQL Server to a whole set of customers who previously couldn’t even contemplate it because of its OS dependency.
It’s a sign of Docker’s maturity in the market that people are now starting to seriously question their monetization strategy. Matt Asay breaks down why Red Hat is able to succeed at monetizing the very technology that Docker is pioneering.
More interesting reads from the community
- Docker? On Windows? Yep! – by Jon Hildebrand
- Can a $72 Computer Beat Amazon’s Cloud? – by Rich Stroffolino
- Rogue One and Data Management – by Lee Dallas
This week’s server news brought to you by the team at
- EU Approves Microsoft’s GitHub Acquisition - October 22, 2018
- Helm: Your Own Personal Mail Server? - October 22, 2018
- Samsung Is Mass Producing 7nm Chips - October 19, 2018
- X-IOh My | Gestalt IT Rundown: October 17, 2018 - October 17, 2018
- NetApp Provides Insights for Women in Tech - October 16, 2018
- NetApp Speaks Volumes - October 12, 2018
- The Google+ Accountant | Gestalt IT Rundown: October 10, 2018 - October 10, 2018
- Commvault and Services - October 10, 2018
- Commvault GO 2018 Keynote Live Blog – Day 2 - October 10, 2018
- Commvault GO 2018 Keynote Live Blog - October 8, 2018