Storage rules everything around me. Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in storage.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
If you’re not familiar with ioFABRIC, they make Vicinity, a data fabric solution that lets you get better utilization of all your storage. It does this by presenting applications with a virtual data plane that amalgamates all available storage. This is governed independently by their own control plane. Essentially, the virtual data plane presents to the application as whatever kind of storage it natively needs (block, file, SMB, etc.).
WekaIO Matrix is an impressive new entrant in the world of high-performance distributed storage, and the cloud connector is a nice complement. The company brings all the latest trends together (distributed storage, NVMe, flash, cloud) in a useful solution. And by targeting HPC, WekaIO has selected a ripe target.
The roundtable discusses how NVMe is impacting the storage industry. Is this just an iteration on what we’ve already seen with flash, or does it represent a sea change that will fundamentally change IT?
Articles That Made Us Think
In this piece, Gabriel Chapman makes an interesting case for the demise of the storage admin. He compares the state of storage to the smartphone pre-iPhone. The market is poised for someone make storage radically simpler, from providing a service that has to be laboriously constructed, to something that’s more of a platform to be built on with accessible APIs.
Upcoming Events in Storage
From the Community
What to Expect from QLC NAND by Chris Evans
Automation Empowered Backups with Rubrik by Eric Shanks
Red Hat Banishes Btrfs from RHEL by Simon Sharwood
- Why Did VMware Buy Datrium? | Gestalt IT Rundown: July 8, 2020 - July 8, 2020
- Ep. 9: Is Remote Work The New Normal? - July 6, 2020
- VxRail Is Now Built for the Edge - July 6, 2020
- Supercomputers Are Switching to Arm Too - July 3, 2020
- AWS Goes to Space | Gestalt IT Rundown: July 1, 2020 - July 1, 2020
- Ep. 8: Is Dell Selling VMware? - June 29, 2020
- Intel’s Tiger Lake Is CET For Security - June 29, 2020
- NetApp Buys a Spot in the Cloud - June 26, 2020
- Will Dell Spinoff VMware? | Gestalt IT Rundown: June 24, 2020 - June 24, 2020
- Ep. 7: What is Intel’s x86 Future? - June 22, 2020