As discussed on this week’s Gestalt IT Rundown episode, the VPNFilter malware is a nasty piece of business from a sophisticated actor. Graham Cluley does a great job here of giving a high level overview. Your best option right now is a hard router reset. But if that’s not possible, a reboot will at least make sure your router won’t take part in any botnet attacks from the exploit. Or check out the most recent episode of “Beer with Talos” to hear from the Cisco Talos folks who first documented this exploit.
Graham Cluley comments:
Even if you aren’t in imminent danger of being targeted by the botnet itself, you certainly don’t want to be part of the problem. Everybody who is on the internet should play their part in ensuring that the internet stays as safe as possible – and that means not contributing to the problem.
- Germany Drops the Hesse on Microsoft | Gestalt IT Rundown: July 17, 2019 - July 17, 2019
- FUD: Fear, UK, and DNS | Gestalt IT Rundown: July 10, 2019 - July 10, 2019
- The Traditional Office is Dying – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - July 9, 2019
- Cloudfail | Gestalt IT Rundown: July 3, 2019 - July 3, 2019
- HCI See What You Did There | Gestalt IT Rundown: June 26, 2019 - June 26, 2019
- VARs are Useless – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - June 25, 2019
- The Raspberry Pi 4: Adding the Missing Piece - June 24, 2019
- Nvidia Arms Itself | Gestalt IT Rundown: June 19, 2019 - June 19, 2019
- Intel Caught Barefoot | Gestalt IT Rundown: June 12, 2019 - June 12, 2019
- IoT Is Making Society Less Secure – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - June 11, 2019