In terms of repurposing old computer hardware, it would be hard to pick a project that would bring a bigger smile to my face than retrofitting an Intel Core2Duo-based Sun workstation to use modern AMD EPYC platform. It’s the best of both worlds, modern hardware in a chassis with perhaps the best logo in all of tech.
It’s kind of pointless, and clearly took a lot of work, but darn it if I don’t like it.
Patrick Kennedy comments:
Introducing the Ultra EPYC. We take a Sun Ultra 24 and retrofit the newest AMD EPYC Gigabyte Platform, NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti, EVGA PSU and Intel Optane storage.
Read more at: Serve The Home
- How is COVID-19 Impacting Digital Transformation? | Gestalt IT Rundown: May 27, 2020 - May 27, 2020
- Checksum: Episode 3 – What’s Going on with the JEDI Contract? - May 25, 2020
- Catching Up On Microsoft Build 2020 | Gestalt IT Rundown: May 20, 2020 - May 20, 2020
- Checksum: Episode 2 – Is IoT Security a Nightmare? - May 18, 2020
- AWS Rolls Out Graviton2 M6g instances - May 18, 2020
- The Three Philosophies of SolarWinds APM - May 15, 2020
- Rubbing Salt In the Exploit - May 15, 2020
- Dell EMC Unifies Midrange Storage with PowerStore | Gestalt IT Rundown: May 13, 2020 - May 13, 2020
- Riverbed Wasn’t Built In a Day - May 12, 2020
- Checksum: Episode 1 – Why Did Nvidia Buy Mellanox? - May 11, 2020