I’ve spent the last few weeks getting to know more about the container ecosystem. This has mostly focused on container deployment. I’ve also been looking into persistent networking and storage for these stateless constructs. But for the most part I haven’t really touched on container cluster management.
Eric Wright has a nice piece introducing the two dominant players in the space Mesos and Kubernetes (which I keep wanting to pronounce Cassavetes, but that’s purely on me). It’s not so much a technical introduction, but rather giving perspective about their place in the market, and their overall capabilities. It’s interesting to see an article about containers that only brings up Docker in an aside. One of Eric’s points is that containers are really this inflection point around which IT is bending (similar to VMware), and it’s still in an early enough stage to allow for a lot of deployment flexibility from various vendors and projects.
It’ll be interesting to see if either Mesos or Kubernetes emerges as the clearly dominant player in the cluster management space. Eric seems bullish on Kubernetes due to being embedded in Google with a long deployment history, even though Mesos has an overall market lead at the moment. He’ll be doing some architectural comparisons in some subsequent posts, looks to be very interesting stuff.
Since the dawn of computing, we have seen some incredible advancements. There have been numerous inflection points along the way. The most significant shift in many years was led be a little startup led by Diane Greene. You may know them as VMware.
I can’t tell you when the data center operating system tagline was first published, but you can see now that VMware is fighting towards trying to be the everything system which will hold the reins as a dominant force in enterprise computing.
Then the next shift happened.
- X-IOh My | Gestalt IT Rundown: October 17, 2018 - October 17, 2018
- NetApp Provides Insights for Women in Tech - October 16, 2018
- NetApp Speaks Volumes - October 12, 2018
- The Google+ Accountant | Gestalt IT Rundown: October 10, 2018 - October 10, 2018
- Commvault and Services - October 10, 2018
- Commvault GO 2018 Keynote Live Blog – Day 2 - October 10, 2018
- Commvault GO 2018 Keynote Live Blog - October 8, 2018
- A Solid Foundation to Own Your Data on the Internet - October 5, 2018
- On Supermicro and Hardware Hacks - October 5, 2018
- Internet of Legal Things | Gestalt IT Rundown: October 3, 2018 - October 3, 2018