The IT industry is really at a crossroads right now. We are striving to be more inclusive of others no matter their race, gender, religion, or personal beliefs. But this journey doesn’t really have an end. Because every new turn is a different perspective on trying to fix the things that are wrong and make our industry a better place for everyone.
Zoe Rose has an amazingly powerful story and she’s trying to highlight some of the challenges we face in making IT, and security specifically, more inclusive and safe for people to feel welcome. This recent post from her and Ian-Thornton Trump about this should be an eye-opening experience if you’ve never seen the kinds of issues that others deal with every day.
I feel like this proposal from her is just a modest start in having the kinds of conversations that we need to all be aware of when putting together a conference or series of talks in the future.
I know so many of the folks running infosec events and conferences and I think they would welcome a focused, constructive discussion proposal/CFP response on these topics; such as gender, diversity, inclusion and how to continue, support and accelerate the improvement, these are important topics! Unfair blame and anger just minimise the possible benefits. The real question? Is our profession mature enough to listen to both sides of the argument without devolving into toxicity?
Learn more at: Making Security Safe for all
- Docker Enterprise Sold to Mirantis, Docker Desktop, Hub Raise $35MM - November 19, 2019
- Juniper NXTWORK 2019 Keynote Live Blog - November 12, 2019
- Where Did Tech Field Day Come From? Tech Field Day at 10 - November 4, 2019
- Druva Protects Corporate Data Outside the Firewall - October 30, 2019
- It’s All About the Delegates: Tech Field Day at 10 - October 27, 2019
- Nth Generation Symposium Keynote Live Blog - October 24, 2019
- SolarWinds Aims to Connect the Data Dots - October 24, 2019
- Celebrating 10 Years of Pure Storage and Tech Field Day - October 23, 2019
- Meeting the Storage Performance Requirements of AI and ML Workloads with WekaIO - October 23, 2019
- Commvault Go Day 1 Live Blog - October 15, 2019