When Broadcom announced plans to acquire Brocade, it was contingent upon divestiture of the assets from Brocade’s recent acquisition of Ruckus Wireless. Arris’ name had been circling the rumor mill for a while as a possible suitor, so it’s not too surprising. I was a little interested to see the price. At $800 million, it seems like a pretty good deal for Arris.
Consider that when Brocade bought Ruckus about 10 months ago, they paid $1.5 billion. This isn’t so much of a concern for Broadcom in the long run, their purchase price of Brocade clearly took this into account. But a 45% dip in value is nothing to sneeze at either.
Overall, I’m glad to see the Ruckus Wireless team staying intact. There was some speculation that the assets would be sold for parts. Arris might not be the most exciting place for them to land, but it’s eminently sensible.
PR Newswire comments:
ARRIS International plc, (NASDAQ: ARRS) and Broadcom Limited (NASDAQ: AVGO) today jointly announced that they have entered into an agreement for ARRIS to acquire Brocade Communication Systems Inc.’s Ruckus Wireless and ICX Switch business for cash consideration of $800 million, plus the additional cost of unvested employee stock awards, following the closing of Broadcom’s acquisition of Brocade. ARRIS expects the acquisition to be accretive to its Non-GAAP earnings per share in the first 12 months.
- Microsoft Edge and the Great Virtual Machine Escape - March 24, 2017
- Five MacBook Pro Dongles That Make Me Sad - March 24, 2017
- A simple command allows the CIA to commandeer 318 models of Cisco switches - March 23, 2017
- FreeNAS Corral Notes & First Impressions - March 23, 2017
- Elastifile: How Bizur - March 23, 2017
- StarWind Gives You a Gateway to the Cloud - March 21, 2017
- Tech Field Day Gets Containerized at DockerCon and Cloud Field Day - March 20, 2017
- Intel Optane Enters the Market - March 20, 2017
- From Windows to Azure – A Change in Focus - March 17, 2017
- AppliedMicro’s X-Gene 3 SoC Begins Sampling: A Step in ARM’s 2017 Server Ambitions - March 17, 2017