IT Burnout is a serious issue, and one that we’ve covered on Gestalt IT. Heck, we dedicated a full On-Premise IT Roundtable on the topic. Our premise for the episode was that burnout is inevitable. We framed it as such because I think a lot of IT pros consider it part of their job, something to deal with and eventually get over on your own.
Eric Shanks echoes a lot of what we discussed on the episode in this piece. He heard an extensive talk on the subject while at the Devops Enterprise Summit. He rightly points out that this isn’t people just a little tired from work, it’s a diagnosable medical condition that can lead to exhaustion, cynicism, depression, even suicide if left untreated.
It’s a really important discussion for IT pros to have, I’m glad Eric wrote up such a thoughtful piece.
Eric Shanks comments:
Another problem I see with burnout is that you might not realize that you’re burned out. Remember that burnout happens over a long time so it can sneak up on you. A difficult workload or having little control over your situation may be something you’ve always dealt with at a job. So, if you start to feel depressed thoughts, you might not be able to pinpoint why you feel that way. Even if you identify that you’re feeling depressed, you probably won’t be able to figure out when it happened or whats changed because its been this way for so long. There isn’t a single event that you can point to as the reason for your feelings.
Read more at: This is Not Fine!
- Is Open-Source Licensing Broken? | Gestalt IT Rundown: January 22, 2020 - January 22, 2020
- Veeam Acquired by Insight Partners | Gestalt IT Rundown: January 15, 2020 - January 15, 2020
- Wi-Fi Monetization is Bad – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - January 14, 2020
- AI Patent Trolls | Gestalt IT Rundown: January 8, 2019 - January 8, 2020
- IT Certifications Are More Valuable Than A College Degree – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - December 24, 2019
- Predictions for 2020 - December 19, 2019
- 2019 in Review | Gestalt IT Rundown: December 18, 2019 - December 18, 2019
- The Promise of the Cloud Cannot Be Achieved – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - December 17, 2019
- India’s New Data Regulation Bill | Gestalt IT Rundown: December 11, 2019 - December 11, 2019
- Gestalt News for the Week of December 9, 2019 - December 9, 2019