Ray Lucchesi RayOnStorage Blog comments:
Just got back from an analyst summit with Spectra Logic. They announced a new interface to tape called, Deep Simple Storage Service (DS3) and an appliance that implements this interface named the BlackPearl. The intent is to broaden the use of tape to include, todays more web services, application environments.
The main problems addressed by the new interface is how do you map an essentially sequential, high throughput but long latency access to first byte, removable media device to an essentially small file, get and put environment. And is there a market for such services. I think Spectra Logic has answered the first set of questions and is about to embark on a journey to answer the second set of questions.
Ray has a nice write up of the Spectra Summit announcements from last week. Tape may not be dead after all.
Read more at: DS3, the BlackPearl and the way forward for … tape
- Rogue Device Detection Thanks To PathSolutions - May 27, 2020
- Validating Identity with Identiq - May 21, 2020
- Pensando Places Programmability First - May 18, 2020
- Stopping Stoplight Risk Analysis with Brinqa - May 14, 2020
- Leaving Legacy Behind to Build Better Networks with DriveNets - May 13, 2020
- Tomversations: Episode 2 – Wi-Fi 6 and 6E - May 11, 2020
- Assured IoT Reporting with Jitsuin Archivst - May 7, 2020
- Ensuring Code Quality with Arista - May 7, 2020
- Monitoring Application Performance from the Inside Out with Solarwinds AppOptics - May 6, 2020
- Feature-Based Licensing for Infrastructure is a Good Thing - May 5, 2020