Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in servers.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
The process of a merger is often obscured from public view. We got a big glimpse at how Dell EMC is going through such a process at Tech Field Day in Austin. Last November, at another Tech Field Day event in Silicon Valley, we were received an overview of their Isilon product line. While fascinating, this was mostly a relatively untouched team from EMC. In Austin, we got to see the a little more of the interplay of two giant companies coming together.
The rise of the virtual assistant points to the important element that’s been added to voice recognition, artificial intelligence. This is really what can turn it from a minor convenience, into something that can shape lives and businesses. That’s what Next IT is banking on.
Articles that made us think this week…
Zack Whittaker reminds us why you should always check your server configuration carefully: [T]he airport had been inadvertently leaking its own highly sensitive files as a result of the drive’s misconfiguration. Chris Vickery, lead security researcher of the MacKeeper Security Center, who helped to analyze the exposed data and posted his findings, said the drive “was, in essence, acting as a public web server” because the airport was backing up unprotected copies of its systems to a Buffalo-branded drive, installed by a contract third-party IT specialist.
We’ll be at OpenStack Summit, May 8-11, 2017. See you there!
Tech Field Day will be in Boston coming up in May! The invited delegates will be hearing about the latest in enterprise IT from a roster of exciting companies. We’ll be releasing the full schedule of companies, and which excellent delegates will be joining us soon! As always, these events are live streamed, with video available on YouTube and Vimeo after the event.
More interesting reads from the community
- Alternatives to Intel’s New $8988 Top Dog Xeon – by Rich Stroffolino
- Testing out snapshots in Apple’s next-generation APFS file system – by Adam H. Leventhal
- What is it like to be a SysAdmin in the new DevOps world? Part 3 – by Matt Leib
This week’s server news brought to you by the team at
- Microsoft Edge and the Great Virtual Machine Escape - March 24, 2017
- Five MacBook Pro Dongles That Make Me Sad - March 24, 2017
- A simple command allows the CIA to commandeer 318 models of Cisco switches - March 23, 2017
- FreeNAS Corral Notes & First Impressions - March 23, 2017
- Elastifile: How Bizur - March 23, 2017
- StarWind Gives You a Gateway to the Cloud - March 21, 2017
- Tech Field Day Gets Containerized at DockerCon and Cloud Field Day - March 20, 2017
- Intel Optane Enters the Market - March 20, 2017
- From Windows to Azure – A Change in Focus - March 17, 2017
- AppliedMicro’s X-Gene 3 SoC Begins Sampling: A Step in ARM’s 2017 Server Ambitions - March 17, 2017