What You’ll Hear
This week, security author, trainer, conference speaker, and consultant Raven Alder adds her bright star to the Packet Pushers constellation. Her wit and wisdom are joined by data center geek and repeat guest Josh O’Brien, along with regulars Greg and Ethan. Dan was sidelined unexpectedly, but plans to be back next time.
- They say power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. The Pushers ponder this maxim as Chairman, CEO, and El Presidente Mark Hurd gets the oust at HP for certain indiscretions. Was he an extraordinary leader, or just a corporate figurehead? Will HP’s stockholders miss him? We think the board would have kept him if he mattered, indiscretions notwithstanding.
- Australian transportation giant RailCorp announces plans to migrate from ATM to IP. A stunned silence ensues, and then we burst into discussion about why old equipment lives longer than it should.
- Cisco’s ACE Web Application Firewall gets two in the hat. While no one mourns the passing of this unloved product, we wonder why Cisco opted to leave the WAF market. Security strategy, where are thou? Thanks for the tip, Ivan.
- Raven disappears down the rabbit hole, and the Pushers follow her to Web Application Firewall wonderland. This deep-dive discussion explains what a WAF is, who needs to deploy a WAF, where a WAF fits in a defense-in-depth strategy, common WAF deployment mistakes, and why you need Raven on speed-dial.
Follow the Packet Pushers on Twitter (@packetpushers | Greg @etherealmind | Dan@rovingengineer | Ethan @ecbanks) and send your queries and comments about the show to [email protected]. We want to hear from you!
- Show 40 — Openflow — Upending the Network Industry - April 7, 2011
- Show 39 — Unplugged on Tech Field Day Wireless - April 4, 2011
- Rant: Why SPB Doesn’t Get Any Attention - March 27, 2011
- Show 38 — Comparing Data Centre Fabrics From Juniper, Brocade and Cisco - March 25, 2011
- Show 37 — Even More IPv6 Ready Than Last Week - March 14, 2011
- PPP Show 36 — IPv6 Ready - March 14, 2011
- Show 35 — Media Markup — A Garden of Switches - March 6, 2011
- Show 34 — Breaking the Three Layer Model - February 27, 2011
- Show 32 — Media Mungle - February 1, 2011
- Show 33 — IPv6 It All Comes Down to Money - January 30, 2011