A detailed look at the Big, Hot and Heavy Ethernet Switches with a large crew to talk about their practical experiences on design, selection and performance of Cisco Nexus switches. The result ? We don’t think the Nexus switches are very exciting, HP Flex10 modules are a problem, and so much more.
Due to people commitments we recorded a double length show which will be released in two parts. This is Part 1 and Part 2 will be released next weekend.
VSS & vPC — the real experience
We started with a look at the differences between Cisco’s Virtual Switching System (VSS) and their Virtual Port Channel (vPC) implementation of Multi-Chassis Etherchannel and what our preferences are for choosing and implementing. We like vPC both from a design and implementation perspectives but our experiences of VSS have been very poor and we don’t choose to use it in the Data Centre. In practical way we don’t like the way that VSS is conceptually the same as a stackable switch.
We also don’t have much time on the Catalyst 4500 because they aren’t used in our designs. Also, there are too many modules and Supervisors, and the technology is confusing. The lack of architecture information is poor.
Cisco Fabric Extender switches
We had a short look at the QoS implementation on the Cat6500, and expressed our dissatisfaction with the configuration and consistency of the implementation and some surprising tips on how to solve the QoS problem.
We discuss the use of Service Modules in the C6500 chassis and our experiences.
You can find Steve Rossen on @steve
IOS Hints Live — San Jose September 2010
You can book to join the event at ioshintsdatacenter.eventbrite.com/. There are only a limited number of seats at this unique event where Ivan Pepelnjak and Greg Ferro will both be available to discuss, review and develop your designs.
Follow the Packet Pushers on Twitter (@packetpushers | Greg @etherealmind | Dan@rovingengineer | Ethan @ecbanks) and send your queries and comments about the show to [email protected]. We want to hear from you!
- Show 40 — Openflow — Upending the Network Industry - April 7, 2011
- Show 39 — Unplugged on Tech Field Day Wireless - April 4, 2011
- Rant: Why SPB Doesn’t Get Any Attention - March 27, 2011
- Show 38 — Comparing Data Centre Fabrics From Juniper, Brocade and Cisco - March 25, 2011
- Show 37 — Even More IPv6 Ready Than Last Week - March 14, 2011
- PPP Show 36 — IPv6 Ready - March 14, 2011
- Show 35 — Media Markup — A Garden of Switches - March 6, 2011
- Show 34 — Breaking the Three Layer Model - February 27, 2011
- Show 32 — Media Mungle - February 1, 2011
- Show 33 — IPv6 It All Comes Down to Money - January 30, 2011