It was planned to have a discussion around L2 Data Centre connection the VMworld in Copenhagen but Scott and I could not meetup. So we recorded this podcast to start talking about some of the issues, technology and solutions. I’m not sure that we have all the technology or knowledge in place, so keep watching for more discussions in the future.
This is the second half of the show and you should probably listen to last weeks show to get the whole story at http://packetpushers.net/show-27-layer-two-2-data-centre-interconnect/
Layer 2 Data Centre Interconnect — open discussion
- The challenges of extending L2 DCI network betweens sites.
- Outlining the threats of large Layer 2 spaces in terms of network vulnerability.
- quick review of vMotion traffic and its requirements.
- Reviewing the impact of fault domains and L2 VLAN space as uncontrollabl
- It’s all about the application.
- Latency, latency and the impact on vMotion switchover.
- Greg’s article on the Traffic Trombone and Ivan’s extensions to it.
- It’s worth remembering that Network Load Balancers can be more effective than using vMotion is certain use cases.
- vMotion is not for unplanned outages or DR. More for planned outages or possibly workload balancing.
- Debating whether we are able to QoS L2 traffic when flowing between data centers thus answering the question about guaranteeing levels of service for multiple hosts in a VLAN.
- Some humour on Pseudowire over MPLS over GRE over IP. But’s its actually real.
- Some review on the F5 EtherIP technology and whether it’s relevant to the solution.
Subscribe in iTunes and RSS
Media Player and MP3 Download
You can subscribe to the RSS feed or head over to the Packet Pushers website to download the MP3 file directly from the blog post for that episode. Also, subscription options for Zune, Boxee and a range of other podcatchers are listed on the website.