This is Packet Pushers Media Mungle, new format were we gather people from from the technology media to sit down around the virtual workbench and look back at events with beady media eye. We’ll take closer look at what’s been happening and discuss what’s happening in a little bit more detail. We got a list of topics to discuss and here is who’s who in the zoo today.
- Mike Fratto, Editor, Network Computing. networkcomputing.com | Twitter: @ mfratto
- Shamus McGillicuddy, Director of News and Features for searchnetworking.com | Twitter : @shamustt
- James Duffy, networkworld.com | Twitter: @jim_duffy
Matters At Hand
Topic 1 — Cisco Announces a Dividend — Why ?
Precis: Cisco announced a dividend for 2011. Is there a bigger story to this ? Links: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE68D42P20100914?pageNumber=1
Topic 2 — Cisco’s disappointing outlook for its fiscal Q2.
Why did Cisco downcast its upcoming quarter while its peers are expecting double digit growth? Is it a Cisco issue alone? Misexecution? Spread too thin in too many adjacent markets? They gained share in core routing and switching markets in fiscal Q1/calendar Q3 so it does not appear that they are taking their eye off the ball. What’s at the root of Cisco’s challenging quarter?
Topic 3 — Network Management ?
The Data Center Orchestration market heating up with LineSider acquisition and joint development with BMC. Is it imperative for Cisco to own this technology (vs. partner) in order to be successful in next-gen data center opportunities? Network management has always been a chink in Cisco’s armour – will it impair the company’s efforts in data center? Or will they get it right this time around? Do they have any wiggle room? Must they succeed in DC mgmt./orchestration – ie, be a leading supplier or provider of these solutions – in order to succeed in DC/cloud overall?
Topic 4 — Wireless LAN market activity
One general topic: wireless LAN market activity. Smaller players like Aerohive and Meraki have made interesting moves in recent weeks. Cisco announced a new WIPS solution. And HP is rumored to be making a major move soon.
Subscribe in iTunes and RSS
Media Player and MP3 Download
- Show 40 — Openflow — Upending the Network Industry - April 7, 2011
- Show 39 — Unplugged on Tech Field Day Wireless - April 4, 2011
- Rant: Why SPB Doesn’t Get Any Attention - March 27, 2011
- Show 38 — Comparing Data Centre Fabrics From Juniper, Brocade and Cisco - March 25, 2011
- Show 37 — Even More IPv6 Ready Than Last Week - March 14, 2011
- PPP Show 36 — IPv6 Ready - March 14, 2011
- Show 35 — Media Markup — A Garden of Switches - March 6, 2011
- Show 34 — Breaking the Three Layer Model - February 27, 2011
- Show 32 — Media Mungle - February 1, 2011
- Show 33 — IPv6 It All Comes Down to Money - January 30, 2011