Backblaze just released their 10th annual survey results on backup frequency. As a personal and business backup provider, they have a clear interest in the responses. But, like their disk drive reliability numbers, it’s nice that they share the results publicly.
The results aren’t surprising in isolation, people don’t backup as often as they should, with monthly backups being the most popular response, and 1 in 5 people never backing up. Overall, only 9% of respondents said they backed up daily. Harrowing numbers right?
Well it’s actually gotten better. When they started in 2008, only 5% of people said they did daily backups, so the practice has nearly doubled. And the people who say they never backup has dropped from 38% to 21%. So either people are backing up sometime, or they’re at least self-conscious enough to lie about it.
One item really shocked me in the survey. It found that the older you were, the more likely you were to perform daily backups. Respondents over 65 were twice as likely to backup daily as those 18-34. I would have assumed the rate would have peaked somewhere in the middle, as tech savviness combined with enough perspective to make backups important. Either way, really interesting results!
Backblaze Blog | Cloud Storage & Cloud Backup comments:
This is the 10th year Backblaze has designated June as Backup Awareness Month. It is also the 10th year of our annual Backup Awareness Survey. Each year, the survey has asked the question; “How often do you backup all of the data on your computer?” As they have done since the beginning, the good folks at Harris Interactive have conducted the survey, captured and tabulated the answers, and provided us with the results. Let’s take a look at what 10 years worth of surveys can tell us about computer backup.
Read more at: Backup Awareness Survey, Our 10th Year
- X-IOh My | Gestalt IT Rundown: October 17, 2018 - October 17, 2018
- NetApp Provides Insights for Women in Tech - October 16, 2018
- NetApp Speaks Volumes - October 12, 2018
- The Google+ Accountant | Gestalt IT Rundown: October 10, 2018 - October 10, 2018
- Commvault and Services - October 10, 2018
- Commvault GO 2018 Keynote Live Blog – Day 2 - October 10, 2018
- Commvault GO 2018 Keynote Live Blog - October 8, 2018
- A Solid Foundation to Own Your Data on the Internet - October 5, 2018
- On Supermicro and Hardware Hacks - October 5, 2018
- Internet of Legal Things | Gestalt IT Rundown: October 3, 2018 - October 3, 2018