Dominick Pickhardt of Network Autobahn comments:
Avaya has announced a new product wich is called ONA Open Network Adapter. It is an small form factor SDN Adapter wich is based on Open vSwitch. It is designed to bring plug-n-play connectivity for network devices. Basically Avaya is saying that you bring an ONA adapater for example to an branch office site and it connects over the WAN the remote location to your corporate network. The ONA can be integrated with the Fabric Attached technology into a SPB fabric or into the Avaya SDN FX controller architecture. Two models of the ONA are available. The ONA 1101GT provides one network and one device 10/100/1000Base-T port, and supports Power over Ethernet. The ONA 1208GT provides two network — 10/100/1000Base-T plus 100/1000Base-FX—and eight device 10/100/1000Base-T ports. The devices are passive cooled and have the form factor of a card deck. Pricing for the ONA will be start at $545. Avaya has scheduled the availability for mid-2015.
Open vSwitch is one thing. An Open vSwitch adapter is something totally different. This could have an impact down the road for data centers.
Read more at: News: Avaya announced their ONA Open Network Adapter
- The Briar Patch of Software Patches - July 15, 2019
- Tackling Troublesome Tunnels with 128 Technology - July 9, 2019
- Meraki’s Eye in the Sky - June 27, 2019
- Intelligence In The Mist - June 20, 2019
- Clean Analytics with ScienceLogic - June 20, 2019
- Cisco Live US 2019 Keynote Liveblog - June 11, 2019
- Analyzing A Firehose with CounterFlow.ai - June 6, 2019
- Building The Gold Standard with Pica8 - June 5, 2019
- Avoiding Automation Archipelagos with Extreme Networks - May 29, 2019
- Finding Context In the Frames with Plixer - May 22, 2019