The Symmetrix Management Console is a very important step towards allowing customers take control of their Symmetrix V-Max Systems. With the new Symmetrix V-Max comes a new version of Symmetrix Management Console allowing customers to manage their EMC Symmetrix V-Max Systems through a GUI web browser interface with tons of new added features and wizards for usability.
The Symmetrix Management Console was developed back in the day as a GUI to view customers Symmetrix DMX environment, over years it has evolved more to be a functional and operational tool to interface the machine for data gathering but also to perform changes. EMC Solutions Enabler Symcli is a CLI based interface to the DMX and V-Max Systems, but the SMC complements the CLI by allowing customers to perform more or less similar functions through a GUI. The looks & feels of SMC also resemble ECC (EMC Control Center) and customers sometime refer it as a ECC-lite (SMC).
Some of the important features and benefits of the SMC for V-Max are listed below:
- Allows customers to manage multiple EMC Symmetrix V-Max Systems
- Increase customer management efficiency by using Symmetrix Management Console to automate or perform functions with a few set of clicks
- The Symmetrix Management Console 7.0 only works with Symmetrix V-Max systems
- The Symmetrix Management Console is installed on the Service Processor of the V-Max System and can also be installed on a host in the SAN environment.
- Customers can now do trending, performance reporting, planning and consolidation using SMC
- SMC will help customers reduce their TCO with V-Max Systems
- It takes minutes to install. Windows environment running a Windows Server 2003 along with IIS would be the best choice.
- The interface the customers work on is a GUI. It has the looks and feels of ECC and the Console also integrates with ECC.
- New Symmetrix V-Max systems are configured and managed through the Symmetrix Management Console.
- SMC also manages user, host permissions and access controls
- Alert Management
- From a free product, SMC now becomes a licensed product, which the customers will have to pay for
- It allows customers to perform functions related to configuration changes like creating and mapping masking devices, changing device attributes, flag settings, etc
- Perform replication functions using SMC like Clone, Snap, Open Replicator, etc
- SMC enables Virtual Provisioning with the Symmetrix V-Max arrays
- Enables Virtual LUN technology for automated policies and tiering.
- Auto Provisioning Group technology is offered through wizards in SMC
- Dynamic Cache Partitioning: Allocates and deallocates cache based on policies and utilization.
- Symmetrix Priority Controls
- From the SMC, customers can now launch SPA (Symmetrix Performance Analyzer), this is more on the lines of Workload Analyzer which is a standard component of ECC Suite. This allows customers to view their storage & application performance & monitoring. SPA will can be obtained as a Add-on product from EMC based on licensing.
- The SMC gives the customer capabilities for Discovery, Configuration, Monitoring, Administration and Replication Management.
- SMC can be obtained from EMC Powerlink or through your account manager from EMC if you have an active contract in place with EMC for hardware/software maintenance or if your systems are under warranty.
Highly recommended management tool for SAN Admins and yea it’s not free anymore for V-Max Systems.
To read the previous blog post on Symmetrix Management Console, as it relates to Symmetrix DMX-3 and DMX-4 machines.
A nice technical post by Steve Todd on V-Max and Symmetrix Management Console
A post by StorageZilla on Auto Provisioning Groups with SMC
Note: Both the pictures in this blog post have been derived from EMC’s Symmetrix Management Console Data Sheet.