Persistent distributed storage for Docker is the focus of a lot of attention in the enterprise space. Heck, Docker bought Infinit to help them do it internally. But that solution is quite a bit down the road. Right now, Ajeet Raina has a walkthrough of how to accomplish this with Dell EMC’s ScaleIO. Essentially, ScaleIO creates a server-based SAN to function as this storage.
What’s really interesting is that you can pool whatever storage you have to make up this SAN. So you can pool SSDs, spinning disks, and even PCIe devices together. Or if bare metal isn’t your thing, it can also work with VM or cloud based nodes. I really like how flexible ScaleIO lets you be with storage.
There’s slightly less flexibility on your layout. For the Meta Data Manager required by ScaleIO, you generally have to setup three or five node clusters. The system requires these for Master, Slave, and Tiebreaker functions within the MDM scheme. Still you’d want this distribution anyway, so it doesn’t seem too significant of a drawback.
Ajeet gives a detailed guide on how to get ScaleIO up and running. It’s interesting to note that the approach Dell EMC is taking here is to provide the storage more on an architectural level, essentially sitting underneath Docker. I’ve seen some other implementation for container storage, like StorageOS, which resides on the application level.
Today Enterprise IT look for a secure, scalable, out-of-the-box, elastic, portable and integrated solution platform which can span across from their highly dense data center to the hybrid cloud. An architectural need of data centers which can cope up with the growth of applications, compute and storage requirements through higher capacity infrastructure and through a […]
- Phoummala Schmitt – IT Origins - September 20, 2018
- Joining Microsoft’s Teams, or No More Slacking - September 20, 2018
- ARM Servers and End Times | Gestalt IT Rundown: September 19, 2018 - September 19, 2018
- NetApp Acquires StackPointCloud - September 18, 2018
- Networking Disaggregation Isn’t Ready – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - September 18, 2018
- Built for SMBs: A Look at the HPE ProLiant ML110 Gen10 - September 18, 2018
- Pure Storage and the State of VVols - September 14, 2018
- Ken Nalbone – IT Origins - September 13, 2018
- Advanced Persistent Database | Gestalt IT Rundown: September 12, 2018 - September 12, 2018
- How a Storage Company Approaches Containers - September 12, 2018