Storage rules everything around me. Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in storage.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
The enterprise storage industry is quickly extending its reach into the cloud. In some ways, this is simply a play at remaining relevant. But Stephen Foskett sees a larger trend. Storing data off-site is nothing new, but Stephen sees true cloud extension being adopted. He defines this based on changing ideas of data locality, and explores the implications in the piece.
Excelero recently came out of stealth, and wants to provide the software layer to allow businesses to build a high performance scale out storage infrastructure. It’s a software only play, running on commodity hardware. That may not sound like the new hotness, but this article makes the argument that nothing could be more exciting!
On this episode of the On-Premise IT Roundtable, we discuss caching vs tiering. First, the panel clearing defines the two terms, and goes into how to get through marketing cruft to determine which is which. More importantly, the conversation then turns to the technical, looking at the benefits of each and implementation details.
Articles That Made Us Think
Backup provider Backblaze released their 10th annual survey results looks at the backup habits of the general public. While people still aren’t backing up nearly as much as they should, the overall situation has dramatically improved since 2008. The number of people doing daily backups has doubled in that time, while the percentage of people who’ve never backed up has cut in half since the initial survey. There’s still a long way to go, but nice to see some progress!
Upcoming Events in Storage
From the Community
NetApp Gets the OpEx Model Right by Glen Dekhayser
The Tragedy of Firewire by Richard C. Moss
Rubrik’s Doing All the Boring Enterprise Backup Stuff by Eric Shanks
- The Brave New World of NVMe: The On-Premise IT Roundtable - July 18, 2017
- Cisco Announces “The Network. Intuitive.” - July 10, 2017
- This is Inbox Hell - July 10, 2017
- Broadcom Gets Regulatory Approval on Brocade Acquisition - July 5, 2017
- Cloud Extensions, NVMesh, and Backup Awareness in Gestalt Storage News 17.3 - July 5, 2017
- Not The Cisco of John Chambers Anymore - July 3, 2017
- Is Kubernetes a Flash in the Pan? The On-Premise IT Roundtable - July 3, 2017
- HyperThreading Bug in Intel Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs - June 30, 2017
- Trove puts the A.I. in Email - June 30, 2017
- VMware NSX, Figuring Out Intent-Based Networking, and Career Management in Gestalt Networking News 17.7 - June 27, 2017