Bonus podcast episode! I had the privilege to talk to Matt Leib about how he got his start in IT, how the industry has changed since his Radio Shack days, and why the hybrid cloud is here to stay. It was a great conversation, enjoy the audio!
In this edition of Gestalt News:
– we generate new IT slogans using machine learning
– Matt Leib sits down for the IT Origins interview
– the Gestalt IT Rundown discuss the chip market crunch, Samsung surpassing Intel, and what a potential Dell EMC – VMware merger does
I had the privilege to talk to Matt Leib about how he got his start in IT, how the industry has changed since his Radio Shack days, and why the hybrid cloud is here to stay. It was a great conversation, enjoy the audio!
In this snapshot of Gestalt Storage News:
– We talk to Howard Marks in our IT Origins series
– The On-Premise IT Roundtable discusses scale-out storage
– Rich Stroffolino and Tom Hollingsworth discuss if Samsung’s ballooning NAND CapEx can alleviate the flash shortage.
In this edition of Gestalt Cloud News:
– StarWind gives you a gateway to the cloud
– Where is your life simulation hosted in the public cloud?
– And some non-hysterical thoughts on CloudBleed
On this edition of the Gestalt Server News:
– AMD makes a play for the data center with Naples
– AppliedMicron and X-Gene 3 hope to compete with x86
– Microsoft Edge let’s the cat out of the virtual machine bag
Plus: The MacBook Pro dongles you shouldn’t buy!
Matthew Leib starts a four part series, looking into what it means to be a SysAdmin in the cloud native world of DevOps. No longer can each individual component of data center infrastructure be siloed off to their own domains. To deliver the agility that containers and microservices allow, a SysAdmin’s role fundamentally changes.
Still Matthew thinks the true value of The Machine isn’t necessarily in its success generating public interest, or as a great monolithic contraption that will redefine computing. Rather it is out of the multitude of solutions devised to make The Machine that HPE might be able to see some value. He’s particularly bullish on the Intelligent Edge appliance. He sees this as HPE’s convereged solution that should have big appeal for enterprises with Big Data and IoT needs.
Matt Leib of Virtuallytiedtomydesktop’s Blog comments: Recently, when hearing of the AWS outage due to weather in the Sydney data center, I began thinking about HA, and the whole concept of “Build for Failure” I began thinking about what the true meaning of High Availability. In the case of AWS, as Ben Kepes correctly stated […]
Matt Lieb of Virtuallytiedtomydesktop’s Blog comments: The vast majority of my customers are highly virtualized, and quite potentially using Amazon or Azure in a shadow IT kind of approach. Some groups within the organization have deployed workloads into these large public provider spaces. It’s simply due to these groups having the need to gain access […]