Persistent distributed storage for Docker is the focus of a lot of attention in the enterprise space. Heck, Docker bought Infinit to help them do it internally. But that solution is quite a bit down the road. Right now, Ajeet Raina has a walkthrough of how to accomplish this with Dell EMC’s ScaleIO. Essentially, ScaleIO creates a server-based SAN to function as this storage.
What’s really interesting is that you can pool whatever storage you have to make up this SAN. So you can pool SSDs, spinning disks, and even PCIe devices together. Or if bare metal isn’t your thing, it can also work with VM or cloud based nodes. I really like how flexible ScaleIO lets you be with storage.
There’s slightly less flexibility on your layout. For the Meta Data Manager required by ScaleIO, you generally have to setup three or five node clusters. The system requires these for Master, Slave, and Tiebreaker functions within the MDM scheme. Still you’d want this distribution anyway, so it doesn’t seem too significant of a drawback.
Ajeet gives a detailed guide on how to get ScaleIO up and running. It’s interesting to note that the approach Dell EMC is taking here is to provide the storage more on an architectural level, essentially sitting underneath Docker. I’ve seen some other implementation for container storage, like StorageOS, which resides on the application level.
Today Enterprise IT look for a secure, scalable, out-of-the-box, elastic, portable and integrated solution platform which can span across from their highly dense data center to the hybrid cloud. An architectural need of data centers which can cope up with the growth of applications, compute and storage requirements through higher capacity infrastructure and through a […]
- Ravello on Oracle Cloud Moves to Production - September 21, 2017
- Gestalt IT Comment Policy - September 15, 2017
- Intent-Based Network Automation with Ansible - September 15, 2017
- Network Longevity – Think Car, Not Smartphone - September 14, 2017
- Packet Works on ARM - September 13, 2017
- Storage Myth Making, New Distributed Storage, and Brave New World of NVMe inGestalt Storage News 17.4 - September 13, 2017
- Mesosphere, Kubernetes and the coming container orchestration consensus - September 12, 2017
- Managed Services from the 90s to Now – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - September 12, 2017
- Choice: Illusion or Tradeoff? - September 6, 2017
- Deep Thoughts: VMware on AWS - September 5, 2017