Here’s your regular look at what’s happening in cloud.
If you’d like to sign up for our newsletter and never miss an update, sign up here!
With data stored in the cloud, the ability to physically restrict data gets murky. Sure you can control access, but often movement of that data across various servers is outside of your control. This can cause problems for compliance, especially when it comes to verification. It’s all well and good to trust a cloud provider, but when you have regulations or SLAs that require a certain data locality, you need to verify.
Amazon, Google, and Microsoft all posted earnings recently. We dug into the numbers to suss out who’s making money in the public cloud, and what the size of these earnings mean for the state of the cloud in the data center.
Article that made us think this week…
Keith Townsend writes: Containers, microservices-based architectures, and serverless computing pose unique challenges not only to vSphere, but to NSX as well. With a reported $1 billion run rate, NSX is the growth engine within VMware. On Thursday, VMware announced a host of updates to the NSX platform to advance security, automation, and application continuity. I recently sat down with the VMware product team to understand their short and long term vision for NSX.
Make sure your calendar is clear this summer for Cloud Field Day, hitting Silicon Valley in late July. In 2016, the event featured presentations from Cisco, Docker, Druva, and Scality. Make sure to check back for more information on presenting companies and delegates as the event approaches.
More interesting reads from the community
Services and More Services! – by John Welsh
A History of the PCMCIA Slot – by Ernie Smith
In Search of an Acronym: Zadara’s Storage as a Service – by Rich Stroffolino
This week’s cloud news brought to you by the team at
- Google Drops a SHA-1 Collision Course - February 23, 2017
- Arris Acquires Ruckus From Brocade Who’s Getting Acquired by Broadcom - February 22, 2017
- How Much Data is Used For Open Mesh Cloud Management? - February 21, 2017
- Azure Gets a Win with Flipkart, Platform9 Simplifies the Cloud, and IBM Brings the Brains in Gestalt Cloud News 17.3 - February 21, 2017
- Platform9 Simplifies Cloud Infrastructure - February 21, 2017
- Understanding CNI (Container Networking Interface) - February 20, 2017
- Flipkart Adopting Microsoft Azure - February 20, 2017
- Intel’s Altera Acquisition Bears Fruit: Cyclone 10 FPGAs - February 20, 2017
- Dell EMC: When Two Hearts Beat As One - February 17, 2017
- Alternatives to Intel’s New $8898 Top Dog Xeon - February 15, 2017