This podcast is sponsored by SolarWinds. Be sure to check out their new Tech Publication, Orange Matter, to learn more about the other SolarWinds Head Geeks.
Leon Adato is a Head Geek at SolarWinds.
This week on the podcast, we have an interview with SolarWinds Head Geek Leon Adato, recorded on-premises from our lovely Hudson, Ohio offices. We discussed how Leon went from Theater major to working in tech education, what exactly a head geek does, and finishes with some great career advice.
A full transcript of the interview is available here.
Table of Contents
0-0:40: Host intro
0:40 – 10:10: IT Origins Story
10:10 – 12:25: What is a Head Geek?
12:25 – 15:24: When Did Single Pane of Glass Enter the IT Lexicon
15:24 – 22:58: Biggest Change Since You Started Your Career
22:58 – 27:05: Current Worst Trend in IT
27:05 – 32:45: Current Best Trend in IT
32:45 – 38:57: Where is IT Going in the Next 3-5 years?
38:57 – 44:23: Book Recommendations:
- Accidental Empires by Robert X. Cringely
- The Phoenix Project: A Novel about IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business by Gene Kim, Kevin Behr, and George Spafford
- Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft’s Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone by Satya Nadella
44:23 – 46:43: First Computer You Owned
46:43 – 48:06: What Do You Do When You’re Not Working in IT?
48:06 – 50:03: How Do You CXaffeine?
50:03 – 50:40: Who Do You Want to See on IT Origins?
50:40: Career Advice
- IT Certifications in 2019 - January 14, 2019
- Dropping the HAMR on Qualcomm | Gestalt IT Rundown: January 9, 2019 - January 9, 2019
- Composable Infrastructure is Just Blade Server 2.0 – The On-Premise IT Roundtable - January 8, 2019
- Saying Goodbye to Python 2.7 - January 4, 2019
- NooBaa is acquired by Red Hat - January 4, 2019
- 10 In-demand skills to learn in 2019 - January 3, 2019
- US Tariffs and Embedded Systems - January 2, 2019
- Stephane Charbonneau – IT Origins - December 21, 2018
- Australia demands an end to data protection - December 21, 2018
- Thomas Kurian and a Post-Greene GCP - December 20, 2018